This checklist provides an overview of the steps necessary to enroll at the Lawrence/Edwards campus if you did not take classes at the Lawrence/Edwards campus in the Fall or Spring semester. If you were enrolled for the previous Spring/Fall semester but withdrew from all of your classes before the first day of classes, you must also follow these steps. If you have questions you may contact the Office of the University Registrar - Student Records Center, 121 Strong Hall, 785-864-4422, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Be admitted to the University.
If you did not take classes in the preceding semester (excluding the summer term) at the University of Kansas you must be admitted or readmitted for the current semester to enroll. For admission information contact the following:
- Undergraduate: Visit the admissions application website.
- Graduate: Contact the Graduate Division of the school offering your major or the courses in which you seek to enroll. Write to the department c/o The University of Kansas, Lawrence KS 66045 or call (785) 864-2700.
2. Signup for Orientation (undergraduates and international students only).
Information regarding registration will be mailed once you are admitted or readmitted. For additional details see the Office of First-Year Experience (domestic students) or International Student and Scholar Services. During your Orientation session you will be given specific instructions that replace steps 3, 6 &13 listed here. Attend your Orientation session and then skip to step 8 on this checklist.
3. Meet with your advisor to prepare your schedule
Be sure to list alternate classes in case your first choice is not available. New students attending an orientation session will be advised during orientation.
4. If your first language is not English
You need to be cleared by the Applied English Center (AEC) and see the Applied English Center (204 Lippincott Hall) before enrollment. You are required to take the English Proficiency Test unless excused in writing by the staff of the AEC. Although several test times are scheduled, you may only take the test once. Students must sign up 24 hours in advance of their test and therefore should report to the AEC as soon as possible.
5. Establish or update your KU Online ID
6. Go to Enroll & Pay
- Sign in under "Lawrence/Edwards Campus Students & Faculty" using your KU Online ID.
- Clear any holds listed and update your address information. Navigation information can be found on the Enroll & Pay How-To's page.
- Undergraduate Orientation Participants/New/Transfer and International Students:
You will be given instructions during orientation. Orientation is your first enrollment opportunity.
- Undergraduate New/Transfer/International/ who missed Orientation, and New Non-Degree Students:
See the academic calendar.
- Undergraduate Readmitted:
By appointment during continuing student enrollment. (see continuing instructions)
- Graduates New/Transfer:
You may enroll from the date your account is activated for enrollment. Your account should be active as of the date of new graduate enrollment or the day you receive your admission letter, whichever is later. See the academic calendar.
- Graduates Readmitted:
By appointment during continuing student enrollment.
8. Make Schedule Changes as needed
See the add/drop/change of section checklist. If you decide to no longer attend KU, be sure to follow the procedures to officially withdraw and avoid financial and academic penalties. See the withdrawal checklist.
9. Enrolling in Excess Hours
After enrolling in your maximum number of hours (see chart) obtain permission from your school on a schedule change form. This must include the approval of your Dean's office. Bring the completed form to Enrollment and Financial Aid Services in Room 121 Strong Hall, where the hours will be added.
10. Check your Schedule, tuition, and fee assessment for errors.
11. Submit applications for fee adjustments, if applicable.
See the Tuition and Fees page for more information.
12. Pay your fees
13. Obtain an identification card if needed.
Go to the KU Card Center, 4th floor Kansas Union.
14. International Students must purchase insurance or provide verification of adequate pre-existing coverage.
For more information, see the insurance information on the International Student and Scholar Services website.
Caution: The University of Kansas offers late enrollment and therefore you may attempt to late enroll. Requirements are more stringent, late enrollment fees apply and more classes are closed. See the late enrollment instructions for more information.