An office in Enrollment Management

Armed Forces Residency

The University of Kansas makes certain current and former members of the Armed Forces in-state residents for the purpose of assessing tuition and fees. This is in compliance with State of Kansas law and the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014. 

How to receive resident status

Currently Serving in the Armed Forces
(and spouse/dependent)

Veteran of the Armed Forces
(and spouse/dependent)

Eligibility Requirements

  • Current member of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, Kansas Army or Air National Guard or any branch of the military reserves of the United States) or the member’s spouse or dependent child. 


  • Provide a copy of current orders to the Office of the University Registrar by emailing


  • Continuous enrollment (except summer terms)

Eligibility Requirement

  • Currently eligible to receive an educational benefit (Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607) and the service member must have had more than 90 days of service AND/OR the veteran must have established residency prior to service in the armed forces AND/OR been permanently stationed in Kansas during service in the armed forces.
  • Make sure that your address in Enroll & Pay is updated to a Kansas location.
  • Submit a statement to the University indicating intent to establish residence in the State of Kansas.


  • Request educational benefits and/or prove current benefit eligibility. The Office of the University Registrar requires a copy of a Certificate of Eligibility in order to determine this eligibility.
  • Submit the statement of intent webform [KU Online ID login required]


  • Continuous enrollment (except summer terms and breaks)
  • Maintain physical presence residence in Kansas during enrollment

Frequently Asked Questions

If I was receiving an active duty military waiver for in-state tuition, what do I need to do?

Nothing. We are looking up all students who had an active military waiver for Spring 2015 and Summer 2015 and are applying the in-state benefit automatically wherever possible. We can do this because we already have the paperwork needed to confirm your status as active duty.

If you see that your account is still assessing out of state tuition, please contact the Office of the University Registrar.

KU Academic Calendar
Hawk Help: Ask a Question

Enroll & Pay

Enroll & Pay is the University of Kansas' online campus solution for enrollment, financial and other services.

Schedule of Classes

The Online Schedule of Classes

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today